It’s almost time for #GivingTuesday. This year, #GivingTuesday falls on November 28; the Tuesday following Thanksgiving. What is #Giving Tuesday? It’s an International Day of Giving geared towards helping others through the gift of your time, donations, goods or your voice. Last year alone, over 1.6 million people from 98 countries donated on this special day! So, are you ready for this year?
These are our suggestions for a successful day of giving!
- Make the gift tangible: Keep it simple and clearly show where the donations are going. Here is an example: $20 delivers one blanket to a shelter in need
- Set a goal: Get your community involved in reaching a specific goal, like this: We’re working together to raise $10,000 for [name of campaign]
- Create a buzz: Start sending out emails and posting on social media weeks before the event to let everyone know that the special day is coming up. This way, they can begin thinking about it, mark their calendars, and plan to give!
- Include an incentive: Work with business partners and sponsors in order to create incentives, like a match, for gifts. Discounted event tickets or membership are also incentives that can increase giving.
- Automate and save time: If you can plan in advance and automate your email outreach or set your systems up to streamline response time and process-oriented tasks, you’ll have more time to focus on your highest priorities.
Here are some sample messages from the #GivingTuesday Toolkit:
Twitter: “Help kick-off the giving season & make a difference this 11/28 by joining #GivingTuesday @GivingTues”
Facebook: “Join the worldwide #GivingTuesday movement and help rede ne the giving spirit this holiday season! Visit www.givingtuesday.org to learn how you can make a difference.”
Instagram: Join me and post an #UNselfie (a photo of yourself giving back) or create a short video about why you give. Remember to use the hashtag #GivingTuesday and visit www.givingtuesday.org to learn more.