It’s almost time for Giving Tuesday 2018. This year, #GivingTuesday falls on November 27; the Tuesday following Thanksgiving.
What is #Giving Tuesday? Giving Tuesday 2018 is an International Day of Giving geared towards helping others through the gift of your time, donations, goods or even your voice. Last year, over $274 million raised from more than 2.5 million donations! So, are you ready for this year?
These are our suggestions for a successful Giving Tuesday 2018:
- Make the gift tangible: Keep it simple and clearly state where the donations are going. Here is an example: $20 delivers one blanket to a shelter in need.
- Set a goal: Get your community involved in reaching a specific goal. Here is an example: Join us as we work together to raise $10,000 for [name of campaign].
- Create a buzz: Start sending out emails for Giving Tuesday 2018 and posting on social media weeks before the event to inform everyone that the special day is coming up. This way, they can begin to think about it, mark their calendars, and plan on what to give.
- Include an incentive: Work with business partners and sponsors in order to create incentives such as discounted event tickets or membership.
- Automate and save time: If you plan in advance and automate your email outreach or set your systems up to streamline response time and process-oriented tasks, you will have more time to focus on your higher priorities.
Here are some sample messages from the #GivingTuesday toolkit:
Twitter: “Help kick-off the giving season & make a difference this 11/27 by joining #GivingTuesday @GivingTues”
Facebook: “Join the worldwide #GivingTuesday movement and help us spread the giving spirit this holiday season! Visit www.givingtuesday.org to learn how you can make a difference.”
Instagram: Join me and post an #UNselfie (a photo of yourself giving back) or create a short video about why you give. Remember to use the hashtag #GivingTuesday and visit www.givingtuesday.org to learn more.